Thursday, December 10, 2009

My Teacher Identity

Through taking my FNED 346 class and doing my VIPS tutoring at Mitchell Elementary, my teaching identity has really begun to take shape. I have learned so much through this experience and so much more than I thought I would.

I have to admit, when I first stepped foot into my FNED 346 class, I never thought in a million years it would give me the insight that it did. I walked into the classroom just thinking that we would do some volunteering with children and learning basic methods of how to run a classroom, but could I have been more wrong. FNED and VIPS taught me how to interact with children on a mature teaching level and how to better myself as a teacher. From learning about all the different theorists who I've mentioned in my past posts and more, this has been an unforgettable experience.

One experience that really allowed me to soak in this experience was one of my first times at Mitchell Elementary School. It was my third VIPS visit and the little boy that I had been working with for the past two visits, Alex*, was finally starting to get used to me. The first few times that I went there and helped him, he was very reserved and somewhat stand off-ish to receiving help from someone that he didn't know. But by working with him each session for approximately an hour and a half each day, he seemed to warm up to me. During our session that day, Alex started to really show his personality. He was happy and willing to learn. After getting used to him, I soon realized that he typically wasn't one to not put every effort that he had into what what he is doing. Once I got to see this side of him, my whole VIPS experience became a lot better. Alex usually ready to learn and happy to be around. And that day he really showed me that. He gave me a hug when it was time for me to go and asked when I would be coming back. This really showed that I had only begun starting to make an impact on Alex during my VIPS experience and it was extremely touching.

This experience has also made me extremely open to many different ways of thinking. It has showed me that in order to be a culturally competent teacher, one must be free of bias and open to new experiences and ways of thinking. With this experience I have already begun to take what I have learned whether it be with theorists or during VIPS and have already started using it in my teaching career. By being so fortunate to have been given these opportunities, I feel that my teaching identity has already begun formed and will only grow in a more positive way from here.

2 comments:

  1. Andrea! I maintain the exact same motivational feeling from this experience. I feel so touched by the students I worked with. I like how you mentioned how eager Alex* was to learn from you. Isn’t that a great feeling? You would think that these students are quiet and cold with you because they don’t want to be there and just want to go outside and hang out with their friends and play kick ball ha! But isn’t it shocking to find out that they are just shy and reserved with someone they don’t know? And understandably so. I loved finding out how much the students really wanted to learn. And how much they truly wanted to work with you.

    I also liked how you shared that he hugged you. A female student of mine, who feels very comfortable with me, tries to hug me every week! I know I am suppose to not make physical contact but its just too hard to turn that down. Last Friday she told me that I was her best friend. So cute! Good post! And looks like VIPS was a very positive and moving learning experience for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experience with Alex, Andrea. Those are moments that are the emotional rewards of teaching. I'm glad you've already experienced it!

    I am also happy to read of your desire to be a culturally competent teacher. You mention that a culturally competent teacher is free of bias. I'm not sure that's the goal (or if it is even possible). Each of us is necessarily positioned, i.e., we carry with us the impressions/lessons of our life experiences. Thus, we can never be ultimately free of bias. We can, however, be aware of how we participate in privilege and work toward change.

    Keep thinking on these things,
    Dr. August

    ReplyDelete